Monday, June 11, 2012

Blog 4- Gamification

Gamification is an engaging dynamic using points, badges, or progress bars to engage or motivate students in the learning process. It could be used in any age and includes game like features to track success of students. This is very significant because it fosters student engagement helping students build connections, collaborate, and increase interest of course content.
Without a doubt, I would use this in my class. In my classroom we had an interactive smart board. The students loved it! This was the favored center for my kindergarten class to go to. Why? Because it was “fun.” The students had no idea that they were expanding their knowledge on a lesson learned that day or reinforcing what they learned earlier in the week. The small group of three loved the hands on, game like, and fun learning aspect the interactive smart boards.
I would have to do some thinking about how I would actually set up the gamification in my classroom. One downside to the gamification is children feeling frustrated or not liking their peers seeing where they are ranked. So many elements would have to be added to make sure all students’ needs are met and it will have positive results on the children.
Overall I think gamification is a wonderful opportunity for students to have positive attitude toward their work, increase motivation, and foster independent effort. With a few tweaks, I could set it up in my classroom so it would be effective and make the students have a rich experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment